What keeps you playing games is what keeps you happy in life

Think about what keeps you playing your favourite games through years. Genres. Activities. Answer is a key to your happiness and fulfilment... Let me explain. 

The way people perceive games. You see, many people think of games as a way to escape from reality, but in reality, games are often built using interesting elements from our own lives. Developers take these concepts and create a whole game around them.





Think about it like this: on the surface, you have a hero who collects cool gear, overcomes obstacles, and reaches their ultimate goal. They face stronger enemies, discover more nuanced mechanics, and it's all very similar to the challenges we face in real life. The main difference is that games often package these experiences in a more exciting and attractive way.

Just like in life, we all begin with small steps, constantly striving to grow and take on more daunting challenges in order to improve ourselves. Developers have ingeniously transformed these raw concepts from real life into visually captivating gaming experiences. They have carefully eliminated the time constraints and other distressing aspects that often accompany real-life journeys. Therefore, when you immerse yourself in a game, what you are truly embracing is the captivating world that developers have meticulously crafted for you. Interestingly, all the remarkable elements that make a specific game appealing can undeniably be found in real-life experiences as well.

In fact, you could even view life itself as a game, where you get to choose the journey you want to embark on and find enjoyment in it. Some journeys may be less enjoyable, but they can still offer a whole depth of nuances and experiences, just like drinking coffee without sugar. It's the same thing, but without the sweetness, you get to appreciate all the different tastes life has to offer. Pretty cool, huh?

What games can do for you is actually save you some time when you're searching for things that truly make you happy in life. All you have to do is figure out which parts of games bring you the most joy. Plus, you can even apply some of the principles you've learned in games to real life. It really does work, to a certain extent.

On my own example, I've always loved Skyrim for its ability to let you find your own way to live in the world, carve out your own place, and earn a living doing what you enjoy. I've enjoyed settling in new villages or cities, exploring their history, and contemplating how I could contribute to them. Sure, the game involves a lot of killing and dungeon-clearing, but there's also the simple joy of settling down, crafting weapons and armor, and striving to make the best items in town and beyond. This is exactly what I want to do in real life as well. The Sims is another game I find fascinating, where you can educate your sim in a specific craft and uncover unconventional ways to make money from it. There are plenty of other games like that too. I actually believe that The Sims serves as a cautionary game that allows you to learn from your mistakes and experience various stages of life, so that you don't repeat those pitfalls in real life. For instance, when I played as a military man in The Sims, only to retire without any sense of fulfillment, it made me realize that a life without purpose is completely empty. I'm sure you're starting to understand the message and purpose behind this blog post.

Now I'm not playing because I don't have time. If I had the time, I would definitely play because games have helped me understand myself a bit more.

The thing is, games shouldn't be seen as a means of escaping reality. They're more like these cool simulation sequences that help train your mind, keep you mentally fit, and give you different perspectives on real-life activities or things you want to pursue.

I can't help but think about how I wouldn't have found my love for craftsmanship much later if it wasn't for games like Skyrim. It's crazy to imagine myself as an old man, looking back on a life that felt empty because I never got a hint from games like The Sims that life is about more than just work. It's all about finding balance.

I really miss these games, but I'm trying to enjoy my sugar-free coffee while pursuing my craftsmanship passion in making music, and keeping my life in balance. Even though it means progress is a bit slower than others.

Here's what I have for you to do. Just think about the games you love and what you enjoy doing in them. Then, imagine how it could translate to your real life. Hopefully this will give you some ideas. Catch you later!

2nd Accident | Music | Livestreams | Website

Popular Posts